Monday, January 4, 2010

STEREOTYPING WON'T END

I have had encountered many bad experiences. Once i went out at 8.30 pm just near my house to fetch some needs from the shop. An unknown guy on a bike came to me asking me the way and i gave him the direction. After when I thought that he would go away, he came near me and pulled me on my hand. Luckily my sisters and friend came with a scooter and the guy ran off. After that incident, i believed that every mainstream guys are such desperate people when it comes to girls.
Another incident where one Mallu guy called me up on my phone and insulted me so bad, telling me that my accent was funny. I never knew where he got my number from and from that moment on, i started hating the Mallus like anything.
Once, a colleague of mine told me that the Kannada people doesn't have brains since he has often seen them getting into trouble for no proper reason.
I remember a cousin of mine telling me that her friend believes that all chinky girls can sleep with any men if it's for the sake of money.
I've heard many people saying that Africans are dirty and not to be trusted.
We Indians like to talk about the English people for their prejudices and we have the mindset that every Englishman would be arrogant and stiff due to the impact of colonialism.
There are many experiences which cannot be fully mentioned in this post. Anyway, it is important to know that we tend to generalize the whole community just because of the fault of one or two people who left a bad impression on others. Will this stop? The answer is 'NO'. As long as the earth keeps on revolving, stereotyping will not stop. However, let us remember that while there are many bad people, there are also many good people and it is not the wisest thing to keep on generalizing certain communities. And this is what i am also still learning.

2 comments:

  1. the good are few...we are indians too but they hav a way of makin us feel like an "OUTCAST"..stereotypin wil never end n da same too for discrimination...i had my share of being teased "ching chang chong" n these r times the middle finger comes handy lol

    ReplyDelete